[Geany] Lost all my scribble notes
Teresa e Junior
2012-01-30 14:48:33 UTC
Hello, guys!

Yesterday I closed Geany with a certain file open. Then I modified
the file and it grew to about 50MB. When I opened Geany, it tried to
restore my session, but it would take forever, so I killed Geany and
deleted the line corresponding to that file from my session at
.config/geany. The problem is that, when I opened Geany again, my
session was OK, but my scribble notes disappeared! And I left some
important notes there! Any ideas on how to recover them? I haven't
closed Geany yet, so I still have some hope.

Thank you and best regards!
Teresa e Junior
Colomban Wendling
2012-01-30 15:04:39 UTC
Post by Teresa e Junior
Hello, guys!
Yesterday I closed Geany with a certain file open. Then I modified
the file and it grew to about 50MB. When I opened Geany, it tried to
restore my session, but it would take forever, so I killed Geany and
deleted the line corresponding to that file from my session at
.config/geany. The problem is that, when I opened Geany again, my
session was OK, but my scribble notes disappeared! And I left some
important notes there! Any ideas on how to recover them? I haven't
closed Geany yet, so I still have some hope.
Weird... scribble is saved to geany.conf (~/.config/geany/geany.conf)
and should only be loaded/saved at start/quit time, so killing Geany
wouldn't have lost scribbles took in a *previous* run.

Maybe you could check what's in the "scribble_text" in your geany.conf,
but I'm afraid I've not much ideas on what could have happened and where
could the scribbles be gone... Had you more than one Geany instance
opened or something?

Anyway, maybe wait for somebody with better ideas than me, let's hope :)

Cheers,
Colomban
Post by Teresa e Junior
Thank you and best regards!
Teresa e Junior
Teresa e Junior
2012-01-30 15:19:46 UTC
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:04:39 +0100
Post by Colomban Wendling
Post by Teresa e Junior
[...]
Hello, Colomban!

I think Geany didn't like when I deleted the line FILE_NAME_X=, and it
created a new geany.conf for me... scribble_text is empty, but I wonder
why was my previous session still restored.

Thank you!
Teresa e Junior
Lex Trotman
2012-01-30 23:00:14 UTC
[...]
Post by Teresa e Junior
Hello, Colomban!
I think Geany didn't like when I deleted the line FILE_NAME_X=, and it
created a new geany.conf for me... scribble_text is empty, but I wonder
why was my previous session still restored.
Hi,

Removing one of the FILE_NAME_X lines will stop session loading at the
file numbered before, Geany stops at the first missing number, files
numbered after won't load, but that shouldn't affect scribble_text.

If geany.conf is broken, maybe locked or something as a result of
killing Geany, then a fresh copy is generated, but that wouldn't load
your session.

Some "wise after the fact" lessons:

1. don't hand edit config files unless you know what you are doing.

2. when you do, keep a backup (oh, of course, you can restore
geany.conf from your daily backup can't you :)

3. open Geany with --no-session to avoid loading dud files, but that
does mean manually re-loading the rest

4. as I found out recently, when loading large files, turn line
wrapping off (250Mb file took 3s vs 6 minutes)

Cheers
Lex
Post by Teresa e Junior
Thank you!
Teresa e Junior
Teresa e Junior
2012-01-30 23:15:14 UTC
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:00:14 +1100
Post by Lex Trotman
[...]
Post by Teresa e Junior
[...]
Thank you for the tips, Lex, but it basically means I've lost all my
notes, doesn't it? Unfortunately, I don't have a recent backup :(

Anyway, don't you think it is a good idea to change the notes to a
separate file instead of a variable in .conf? Of course, I have a
separate application for notetaking, but scribble is handy for quick
notes while working in Geany.

Thank you and best regards!
Teresa e Junior
Lex Trotman
2012-01-30 23:33:01 UTC
[...]
Post by Teresa e Junior
Thank you for the tips, Lex, but it basically means I've lost all my
notes, doesn't it? Unfortunately, I don't have a recent backup :(
Unless you can find a copy somewhere I'm afraid, yes, it means you
have lost them. I can't criticise, my backups are way behind too.
Post by Teresa e Junior
Anyway, don't you think it is a good idea to change the notes to a
separate file instead of a variable in .conf? Of course, I have a
separate application for notetaking, but scribble is handy for quick
notes while working in Geany.
Storing scribble in a separate file would not make it any less
vulnerable, but it would add extra complexity, which that makes
everything more vulnerable.

Cheers
Lex
Post by Teresa e Junior
Thank you and best regards!
Teresa e Junior
Teresa e Junior
OK, thanks!
Russell Dickenson
2012-01-31 00:21:21 UTC
Post by Teresa e Junior
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:33:01 +1100
Post by Lex Trotman
[...]
Post by Teresa e Junior
Anyway, don't you think it is a good idea to change the notes to a
separate file instead of a variable in .conf? Of course, I have a
separate application for notetaking, but scribble is handy for quick
notes while working in Geany.
Storing scribble in a separate file would not make it any less
vulnerable, but it would add extra complexity, which that makes
everything more vulnerable.
Cheers
Lex
OK, thanks!
Can I suggest perhaps adding your configuration files - Geany's at a
minimum - to a version control repository, whether using git, bazaar
or any other modern system? Once you had that done you could also
schedule an import of config files perhaps once a day. They'd only be
stored locally but at least you could revert to any revision with a
minimum of disk space being used.

Another suggestion would be to keep important notes somewhere other
then Geany but that doesn't solve the essential nature of the problem.

// Russell
Teresa e Junior
2012-01-31 14:32:26 UTC
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:21:21 +1000
Post by Russell Dickenson
Post by Teresa e Junior
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:33:01 +1100
Post by Lex Trotman
[...]
Post by Teresa e Junior
[...]
Thanks, Russell, that's a nice suggestion! But I think what I really
need actually is to schedule daily backups of at least my text files
to my spare hard disk. I keep my backups there, but only run rsync
once a month :p

Best regards,
Teresa e Junior